Monday, July 14, 2008

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Today Faith 'Afoot' is taking to the road.

When I got home at the end of June and saw the doctor she pronounced herself officially "stumped" as to what was causing my breathing problems. It appears that the asthma issues were secondary to something else. So, she went after the 'something else' by attacking three different possibilities at once. At this point I don't know which of the three was the culprit, but one of the three treatments has obviously taken care of the problem, so I'm once again ready to head out. It has actually been quite nice to spend some time at home this summer. My original plans had me in and out a couple of times for a day or two at a time.

The other change of plans is where we (Rick and I both, for this segment of sabbatical travel) are headed. No Europe this summer! So, although July had planned on being 'planes, trains, and automobiles' it will actually end up being just the automobile. Today we head out for Boston, where we'll take part in the worship this week with The Crossing, an emergent expression of St. Paul's Cathedral. Then on to New York City, where my own parish has its roots (we were founded by Trinity Wall Street). And finally, I'm trying to add in a side trip to . . . .drum roll please . .. . Scranton, PA. I'll be trying to learn from each place about ministry in those settings, and how they're responding to a changing culture and changing world. Trinity Wall Street has a reputation of being in touch with the WHOLE world - not just their own neighborhood, and I look forward to finding out how they see things today, and how their mission has changed since the days it started Christ Church, North Conway (yep - all our first vestry meetings were held on Wall Street). And, of course, I plan on making a visit to "815" - the Episcopal Church Center - while in NYC.

Scranton has just happened on my radar screen, and although it's hard to connect with once a week worship in very many places over a couple of weeks, I'd really like to get to worship with them on the 26th. You'll find out more about them here.

Now . . . to go pack up the car and take the dog to 'doggie camp'! (He actually loves it there with the other dogs, so it's not a terrible thing.)

No comments: