Saturday, July 20, 2024

On reading the Bible wrong: Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Amelia Bloomer, and Sojourner Truth, July 20

The Gospel assigned for Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Amelia Bloomer, and Sojourner Truth (on the Episcopal calendar of saints today, July 20)  is Luke 11:5-10, in which Jesus starts the story, not with “the kingdom of heaven is like” but rather “suppose one of you has a friend.”  And then the story goes on about going to that friend at midnight and begging them to get up and supply you with what you need to offer hospitality to someone else.  And although the initial response is basically “go away; what you request is really inconvenient for me right now” the person asking is persistent, and the one in bed finally gets up and gives him what is needed. 

I THINK I’VE READ THIS BACKWARDS ALL MY LIFE! I’ve usually read this (and probably had it interpreted to me) as an argument from the lesser to the greater: ‘be persistent in prayer because if even we ‘lesser’ humans can finally give up and answer a request, just think how much quicker (or more reliably?) God will answer.’  So just keep praying so that God will finally give you what you ask for.   Reading it this year, though, it hit me that maybe I had it all wrong.  What if  it is GOD who keeps asking US to provide, and WE keep answering “yes, I see/hear the need, but not now – it’s a bit inconvenient for me.  I have [all kinds of excuses] why I cannot possibly do that now.  Go away and come back and ask at a better time.” But God keeps asking, keeps calling to us to provide for the needs of this world.

Care for the orphan and the widow.  Feed the hungry.  Welcome the stranger.  Love your enemy. Do justice.  Heal the sick.  Give water to the thirsty.  These words, these calls, come to us again and again and again.  People get on our “Saints calendar” because they responded to God’s call.  But, in another way, they are also part of God’s repeated call to all of us. Elizabeth, Amelia, and Sojourner were all part of that persistent voice of God, persistently calling us to do justice. 

And too often, my response remains: “Not today Lord.  It’s just a bit too inconvenient at this moment to provide for your friends who are in need.”

 

No comments: