Monday, June 16, 2008

Chilly Monday

I'm glad I didn't end up spending an extra day here in Londonderry. Maybe if I wasn't on foot I'd figure out where people "hang out" in this area . . . But the picking has been pretty sparse along the road I've been walking. Maybe they all drive the few miles on into Manchester?

I walked into my lunch stop today at about the same time as a family who had just climbed out of their big new shiny Hummer. We were definitely a study in contrasts.

The contrasts at least led to some easy talk as we sat inside and ate our lunches. "Mom" couldn't get her conversation past the fact of my backpack and that I was out walking around New Hampshire. WHY I was walking wasn't of interest to her. THAT I was walking, was. How far was I planning on walking? Where was I staying? Was I really able to carry everything I needed in my backpack??? (I got the feeling that she never travels light.) The youngest son was totally fascinated by my little cell phone/keyboard combination as I sent off an email to my sweetie. But conversation didn't go any further or deeper than that. They weren't interested in pursuing what I tried to offer as gentle lead-ins to a conversation about faith or God.

It's a chilly day - such a difference from a week ago when I was overbaked by heat and the sun. And today was the first time I actually found myself walking in a downpour. Whereas a week ago the 'breeze' a large truck passing by brought with it was a welcome thing, today the upwash of dirty spray water following in the wake of a large truck has been not pleasant whatsoever.

I'll walk on a little further today, and hopefully find somewhere to be this afternoon. If not, I'll find a spot to sit down and 'blog' some more. There is much I have been mulling over in my mind, and many conversations that I haven't shared yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Suzie,
I have been following and praying for you. Leaving for Germany tomorrow for two weeks and will continue praying for God in the midst and under every footstep.
Blessings,
Catharine