Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Choke hold

A few days ago I had a wonderful, but brief interlude at home- the transition from Concord to the Seacoast area needed a car ride. After picking me up from Concord (and bringing me home), Rick then brought me down to Rochester to begin this part of the journey, and we had to once again make our goodbyes. I think it's the hardest part of this entire sabbatical journey.

But the challenge to "find answers" is also hard. Not emotionally, like the goodbyes, but hard nonetheless. Early on in this month, another clergy had wistfully said to me, "I know it's probably too much to ask for, but I think it would be wonderful if you were able to come back from your sabbatical with a list of '5 Things We Should All Be Doing' to break through those barriers between the unchurched and the church community."

5 things. That suggestion has actually stuck with me, and I'm working on it. But as I travel and listen, I realize that it really isn't about discovering something new. Something we don't already know. Something we haven't already read about and thought about.

I'm not going to end up reinventing church. Or finding one amazing breakthrough 'thing' that will turn us instantly into the church of the 21st century.

But I will come home with new focus on old things. A renewed commitment to the important things, rather than the urgent ones.l And a new commitment to evangelism.

Yes, the E word. It's about sharing good news (which is what euangelion is all about in the greek anyway).

My first afternoon in Rochester had some major clouds piling up. The thunder and lightening began rolling, and I was desperate for a place to get in out of the rain. Slim's Tex Mex Saloon had a sign that said that they opened at 4, which was still 10 minutes away. But the neon open sign was lit, so I tried the front door and walked in out of the rain into an empty place.

Right on my heels two young men slipped in as well.

Within moments someone came out of the back, and we were assured that yes, we could come on in. I settled my pack into a corner, and took a seat at the bar. The other two left a bar seat open between us, and took seats as well.

Chips and salsa and a guinness before me, the rain no longer dripping out of my hair, I asked the bartender about what she knew about the Episcopal church here in Rochester. "I know it closed, but I was wondering if you knew where it was?"

She had no idea. I asked the two young men, even specifically asking about a church that I had seen that was now a bank. (Which I later found out was the former Episcopal church.) The only church they knew up in that area was Holy Rosary.

The one young man admitted that he never went to church anymore, and that he might even be an agnostic.

"Anymore? Did you used to go to church?"

He talked about having church crammed down his throat when he was a kid. Roman Catholic school even. He really used that term: "crammed down my throat."

It didn't sound as if it ever tasted like good news to him. It sounded more like he was still gagging on it instead.

We've got good news. I think he would respond to that. But how do we begin to help people who are already choking because of the way it's been given to them in the past? How do we overcome the gag reflex they've already developed?

From what I've been hearing, over and over again, that would be one of those "5 things".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to know how this works out. I have 2 kids that I would like to get back to church. They are not really kids anymore. Neither of them attend regularly, and 1 of them hasn't been to a church that I know of in about 2 years. I think he feels like religion was crammed down his throat, like the man in the bar. I also know that it is not my decision to make, but theirs. I think the last time the oldest one was at church was at Christmas, at least as far as I know. He lives in another town, and is getting ready to go to graduate school. I am just curious as to how to make religion and church more interesting and inviting for people. Is it to have a more contemporary service, or maybe a lively discussion of current events that can be related to the old or new testament? Let me know how it goes I would be interested in hearing.
CW

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, I wonder also if we all paid more attention to listening, listening,and more listening...and intentionally asking others, and intentionally noticing others, maybe that's one way to get back to the basics of reaching those who we don't see now in our midst. It's a question I continue to struggle with as I see those who AREN'T in our midst...
how grateful I am for your reflections! Anne R.